Friday, August 14, 2009

Counting prayers like blessings

There are times when i can't help but feel VERY thankful for everything that has happened in the past couple of years. Through an abusive struggle, I am definitely on a better road. I am to see things much clearer and am standing firmly on my values and beliefs. Yesterday, I witnessed the power of organizing that comes from genuine compassion and love for the people. Although we are not necessarily organizing these people, we are at least being a catalyst for creating spaces for self-exploration and empowerment. As we know, we must start with ourselves to be present with the people.

As the organizations around me begin to experience extreme challenges, I am still amazed by people's resiliency and commitment. Sometimes we need to fall to rise up even stronger, like a phoenix from ashes. I cannot help but see and feel the power of the white dove.

No comments:

What's the Master's Thesis?

Beneath Our Maria Claras reveal the lives of Filipinas as they attempt to undress layers of pre-colonial identities sewn by patterns of colonialism, imperialism, and patriarchy. For years, I have struggled to remove this garment and try to do what some colonized peoples have done, de-colonize myself and understand the social and historical conditions impacting my live. This blog/research follow my lines of thoughts and understanding while trying to understand: How do second generation Filipina American college students reclaim power that was denied to them culturally through gender?