Friday, December 12, 2008

Sister LIBERATION

Sister LIBERATION

I attempt to write the words that will promise you a liberation
That will teach you the ways of freedom
Only if you promise to listen
Because it is then that we will see the extent to which we can free a nation
Of guilt, deceit, lies and dishonesty, shackled to you and me
It is then we will see the lights at the ends of these tunnels
Of underground railroads leading to where we began
It is then we will inhale the life we were meant to exhale only to see the senses of a reality censored by reality series, making us believe that this is what we are meant to be
Come towards the box and change the channel
Cuz im about to tell you something that I can’t even handle

I saw her walking the streets and I knew it then
She had carried a necklace of sweet scents merely for ten
Pesos instead I wanted to give her besos and let her know that I saw it too
I saw the words come from her lips as she called me ate
I look into her brown eyes that said she knew me, that we hadn’t forgotten
About the times we shared staring at the bright sun wishing for the world to blanket us with yellow shine
About the times we shared holding onto each other souls when he said “they’re not mine” as he threw us into the streets,
it was only a matter of time
Til we saw each other again
in this Manila night of a family reunion
Though my mom didn’t embrace her i knew it then she was my sister at nearly ten

I attempt to write these words that will promise you a liberation
That will teach you the ways of freedom
Only if you promise to listen

I walked through the streets of palengke isles
Saw her fingers weave the roads where we crossed paths as a child
Though Seas a part, our souls intertwined
as she catches the rod to realign truth and weave memories
Fines lines defined her traced lips Her hair a tint of gray shine,
Falls into the loom telling stories of our lives continuously redefined
As corporations commodify our ancestry and sell her tapestries to walmart industries
Glimpses of her life unfold like the blanket she’s wrapping around me, saying 1050
I sip the nestle water I bought, I realize she’s a product in this industry
Though I didn’t see, this my sister calling out to me.

I attempt to write the words that will promise you a liberation
That will teach you the ways of freedom
Only if you promise to listen

I heard her words drops like the tears from her eyes
When she told me that she didn’t want to this type of life
Her anger, frustration bottled for later in case she needed to fight
Against the man who beat her
His fists raised to the sky, strikes to deny her existence
She no longer has the strength to show him resistance
Instead she gave in to his arms and accepts these pages of her story
While he continue to reign in his false glory attempting to keep her soul refrained, contained, and unnamed
I see her eyes through the cages of his grips, she calls out to me and tells me
That this is you and you are me.
This is you and you are me.

I attempt to write the words that will promise you a liberation
That will teach you the ways of freedom
Only if you promise to listen

I walked with us as we stormed the streets of rotten milk and honey
Screaming and demanding liberty
From a nation that makes profit from our souls as industry
To ship to other countries and reinvent their identity
Packaged in little boxes scented with its brand US colonizing ideology
Hiding the 3rd world hands that left finger prints to create this hot new commodity
And we consume it as if it’s something new and fashionable like the new pair of kicks I wear in this street
But I’m still screaming and demanding our liberty
Because I remember I am my sister liberation.

I wrote these write the words that will promise you a liberation
That will teach you the ways of freedom
Only if you promise to listened
Not until you hold mirror of truth to your face do you realize that
the path needed to embrace on the road to sister liberation

No comments:

What's the Master's Thesis?

Beneath Our Maria Claras reveal the lives of Filipinas as they attempt to undress layers of pre-colonial identities sewn by patterns of colonialism, imperialism, and patriarchy. For years, I have struggled to remove this garment and try to do what some colonized peoples have done, de-colonize myself and understand the social and historical conditions impacting my live. This blog/research follow my lines of thoughts and understanding while trying to understand: How do second generation Filipina American college students reclaim power that was denied to them culturally through gender?