Thursday, February 26, 2009

it's haunting me.

i've been trying to cope with the recent developments of my life, but it just seems to haunt me. folks will call this "freedom," i just feel lost. it's painful to know that i've been kicked out of something that i yearned to belong to, a space to for like-minded folks. at least, that's what i thought. it's unimaginable that a space meant to empower people has done the very opposite thing. of course i can see it through their lens and say that they're letting me go to deal with my "contradictions." i thought i understood this movement. i thought i found my place in it, but i was just house sitting. it's really painful.

and so it brings me back to my thesis. . . my original thoughts and reasons for doing this project.


i recognized that most positions in filipin@ american student organizations including presidency were womyn led. i began to question the conditions of her leadership. how she experienced being in that position and as a key figure in the community which she serves. . . did it require that she remain meek and chaste? how did this new found voice sound to her family?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's connect soon, sis. Had a dream about you last night- it was so random. You were performing your poetry will a full Fil Am orchestra behind you and I was writing up a story about it. You can pull through it, sis.

-T

What's the Master's Thesis?

Beneath Our Maria Claras reveal the lives of Filipinas as they attempt to undress layers of pre-colonial identities sewn by patterns of colonialism, imperialism, and patriarchy. For years, I have struggled to remove this garment and try to do what some colonized peoples have done, de-colonize myself and understand the social and historical conditions impacting my live. This blog/research follow my lines of thoughts and understanding while trying to understand: How do second generation Filipina American college students reclaim power that was denied to them culturally through gender?